Re: Needed: A Roadster friendly machine shop <long?>

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>,
Subject: Re: Needed: A Roadster friendly machine shop <long?>
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:40:06 -0800
Whenever you take your head in for machine work, take it for granted that
the cam towers will be removed. If you're unsure of the milling done on the
head then you can do the following. After the head is reassembled and bolted
to the block, you can test the camshaft to see if it is a good fit by doing
the following. Make note of the camshaft and valve orientation to the timing
chain. Remove the rocker arms (so the valves won't hit the pistons). Unbolt
the camshaft sprocket and mount it to the chain guide. Carefully use a
wrench on the camshaft (away from the polished surfaces) to rotate the
camshaft. It should spin without too much effort. If it doesn't spin, then
your towers may be out of alignment. At this point you could have a
machinist rebore the camshaft bearing centers.

Or, if you're daring you can take matters into your own hands. You can
loosen all 5 towers, readjust and tighten them down again. Check for the
interference spots on the bearings, and hone them yourself. They're
forgiving to a certain extent.

Fred -  So.SF