RE: U20 Rear Seal Question

To: "MURPHY, BARNEY D" <BMURPHY@scana.com>,
Subject: RE: U20 Rear Seal Question
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:41:22 -0800
The main rear oil seal on the U20 is a 2-piece graphite-impregnated rope
seal that is pressed into the main bearing cap and the bottom of the block.
This seal cannot be replaced without dropping the crank, which means pulling
the engine.

There is a secondary oil seal consisting of two long rubber strips that
press into grooves in the sides of the rear main bearing cap. I suspect that
is what you are seeing. These don't usually leak. It's the rope seal that is
the problem normally. Sorry.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA