Re: OT 2000 Miata

To: "List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT 2000 Miata
From: "Tony Chen" <thchen@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:00:23 -0800
I'm a new list member (just joined yesterday, thinking about buying this
$3000 semi-restored 67 1600 from a guy in UT for $3000, trying to
convince the gf - Miata owner - that it's not an ugly old piece of junk;
but I digress.)

MNAO (mazda north american operation) is having a 'retraction' on their
'01 Miata power ratings. For full thread, see:
http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/005489.html
Apparently, the extra 15hp isn't really there, ala 99 Cobra SVTs. I test
drove the '01, couldn't feel 1 bit of extra power vs the 99/00.

Last nite, I put a pair of Hawk HPS pads on the Miata. Sometimes good
brakes get me really excited... I was a 'volunteer' sales dummy @ the
Miata stand during the '01 LA Auto Show. Had a blast. Damn good cars.

Where do you live? Must not be a metropolitan if they didn't have any
'01 Miata for demo. The '01 Miata is a bloated beast, no extra power and
over 100 pounds heavier. The seats are much more comfortable but with
the big 16" wheels, it's not as nimble as our semi-stock '99 running on
14" RE71s. The front lights and grill opening are changed to reflect a
more angular S2000-esque style while the rear end's light pod changed.
'01s also have larger rotors and the 6spd is now available, not only in
the 'SE' edition as it was in '00. Otherwise, the '01 & '00s are quite
similar. Mazda Japan Press '01 release
http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200007/0718ce.html

The 2000 Miata changed VERY little from the '99 except for the Mahogany
Red SE edition that came w/ the 6 spd and the elimination of the 'base'
package. It comes w/ standard fog lights, extra body cladding (used to
the appearance package) and standard rear windscreen (completley
useless). The best package is still the sports package of course ;)

* ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM * - gotta love that commercial!

Tony
Los Angeles, much younger than the 67 1600
'01 Saab 9-3
'90 300CE
'88 10th Anniv RX-7