Re: Fog Lights & attenuation coefficients

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fog Lights & attenuation coefficients
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:55:05 -0800
Gary,
I think the confusion here comes from the use of yellow tinted sunglasses to
cut glare in hazy conditions. These sunglasses increase contrast by
filtering out blue light; haze is very small (about 1 micron) water droplets
and dust particles, which preferentially scatter short wave length (violet &
blue) light.  The scattering intensity of the much larger (greater than 10
microns) Fog droplets is practically the same for all wavelengths, so yellow
light scatters just as much as white. Incidentially haze causes mostly
forward scattering (same direction as illumination source), while fog and
clouds cause mostly back scattering. This explains why the sky is so bright
on a hazy day and why the under side of cloud are so dark. For more info
look up Rayleigh and Mie scattering
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/blusky.html
Todd Osborn
B.S. Meteorology (class of '81)