RPM limits?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RPM limits?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:04:04 -0500
  Aren't most modern engines actually limited by the accessories, i.e..
water pump, AC compressors and alternators, more than internal motor
components?  Is that trues of older Datsuns?
  Sloan racing has two 1600's that compete in SCCA G Production.  Two years
ago, the rev's were limited to 8,000 RPMs.  Yield; 3 well ventilated blocks.
Last year they were limited to 7600 RPMs and both lasted the season without
repairs.  (Well, okay we did rather violently loose an upper radiator hose
after a head gasket started leaking!)   These motors have had the cranks
drilled, high pressure oil pumps and several other mods to help oil flow at
those speeds.  I can't remember having any valve float and I don't believe
they have ever lost a connecting rod.

Paul
OROC