Licensing a '68-2000 in Washington State...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Licensing a '68-2000 in Washington State...
From: "Ken Pearce" <Ken_Pearce@CACinc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:44:54 -0800
Question:  What inspections (emissions, safety) does Washington State
require for a '68-2000 to be registered?

I am bringing the roadster from Kansas (actually from Vancouver BC, but
I never registered it here) with a
current Kansas registration.  Also, anyone familiar with Bellingham WA,
I'm looking for a storage garage for
the roadster and living accomodations for me and my well-behaved dog.
I'll be working at WWU starting
April 2nd.

In roadster news, I had a nagging electrical problem that I decided to
tackle yesterday.  Since I bought the
car back in '98, the turn signals haven't worked.  The driver's side
worked briefly but then it too gave out.  I started
out by replacing the flasher unit and the in-line fuse going to it.
This brought back my driver's side signals, but
not the passenger side.  I was also replacing both my tach and speedo as
well, this turned out to help me
diagnose the turn-signal problem.  Anyone who has replaced the tach and
speedo with steering column in place
deserves some kind of award or medal, at least a t-shirt or something!
My key to success was my pen-light
flashlight that you wear like eyeglasses which are hands free and shine
on whatever you look at...

As I was under the dash, I found a broken wire in the plug that goes to
the turn-signal switch, re-attaching this
wire fixed my passenger side signals.  Woo Hoo!  The roadster Gods have
smiled upon me!  I also found that
the PO had installed the indicator and illuminating lamps in the tach,
incorrectly.  This explained why my passenger
indicator was lit any time I turned on my running lights.  Lastly, I
discovered that the in-line fuse going to the flasher
unit blows quickly and violently if the outside of the flasher unit
touches a ground!  Lots of electrical tape around the
outside of the flasher fixed that (fingers crossed pending any future
wiring harness fires!)

I then took it out for a drive after laboring for 6 hours.  She still
runs great and I almost forgot how to drive with
working turn-signals and brake lights, and tach, and speedo...

Cheers!

Ken Pearce, 68-2000
Vancouver BC, (Bellingham WA after 4/2/01)