Re: breaking in new tires

To: PLETCH5@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: breaking in new tires
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:16:24 EST
In a message dated 2/23/01 2:09:50 AM !!!First Boot!!!, PLETCH5@aol.com
writes:

<< Ok, what is the story with breaking in new performance tires. Do they need
 be scrubbed in (burn outs,donuts,brake stands hard cornering ect...) before
 use them on a track or is that a good excuse to have fun?  >>

Oh.... Ken!  I think you have the wrond idea about breaking in tires.
Actually, there is a procedure to follow and I think it is available at
TireRack.com.

Breaking in a tire has to do with running them up to operating temperature
and then letting them sit.  The sitting period seems to be the curing period.
 If I remember correctly, the wheel and tire are to be removed from the car
and then left to sit unweighted for 24hours or something like that.

Anyway, those twisties we took our Roadsters on a year ago would work well
for breaking in the tires.

Calspeed