Re: Alternator Question

To: "MURPHY, BARNEY D" <BMURPHY@scana.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Question
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:20:08 -0600
There a number of things that could cause this indication.

The first thing that I would check (with engine off) is the voltage at the
large wire on the back of the alternator.  It should be the same as the
battery voltage.  If it is zero, there is an open in the wiring between
the alternator and the starter.

If you don't have spares for the alternator or regulator things begin to
be a bit trickier.

If you don't have experience troubleshooting electrics, at this point I
would suggest that you remove the alternator and take it to a parts house
or electric rebuilder that can test it.

Same for the regulator, but it will have to go to an electric rebuilder,
not a parts house.

The other thing to chck is if the wires on the alternator and the regulator
plugs are tight and clean, no corrosion.

If all this checks out I would be happt to dig in deeper.

Peace,
Pat

--

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner