Alternator Question

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Question
From: "MURPHY, BARNEY D" <BMURPHY@scana.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:18:29 -0500
Hello all! I just have a couple of questions that I hope I can get some help
with.

I have a 1969 2000 with smog removed. What is the best way to tell if the
alternator is dead (or voltage regulator)? I am seeing 12.6 volts at the
battery which does not fluctuate upwards, only drops over time. The amp
meter inside never goes to the positive direction under any circumstances.
It does move off of zero in the negative direction (no change under
acceleration) with lights on, etc. The battery is brand new and holds charge
when I charge it up.

Thanks!
Dean