Repairing the inline fuel settling bowl/filter on my 1964 1500

Subject: Repairing the inline fuel settling bowl/filter on my 1964 1500
From: "Charles Hubbard" <cehubbard@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:56:34 -0600
I finally got around to repairing the inline fuel settling bowl/filter on my
1964 1500. It has never worked. It always sucked air but little else.  Stan
Chernoff suggested that I check to see if the pot metal assembly had somehow
become warped by over tightening of the glass bowl holder bracket. Sure
enough, the assembly would rock back and forth when placed on a flat
surface. Not being sure if this has been discussed before, I though that I
would submit a decent fix.

I used a vice and two large sockets (another Stan C. idea) to reshape the
device. The best method was to remove the bowl and fittings. Place a large
socket on the top of the unit (over the threaded mount) and a smaller socket
on the side where the bowl goes (smaller than the glass bowl). Put the two
together in a large vice and tighten a little bit at a time. Make sure that
you keep the mounting nut on the unit to protect the threads. This is trial
and error process but it worked for me. The bowl no longer rocks back and
forth on its seal. I made a new cork gasket for the bowl. A manual vacuum
analysis check (I sucked on it while plugging on end with my finger)
confirms that it does hold an air tight seal.

Just thought I would share this with all of you who ended up bypassing this
device. I still recommend that you use an inline filter between the bowl and
fuel pump.

STAN'S DA MAN!

Regards,

Charlie