Re: Re[2]: Synthetic oil

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Synthetic oil
From: SRL311guy@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:20:11 EST
In a message dated 2/15/01 10:46:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us writes:

> I've been running the synth in my '66 2000 without problems. Hadn't
> considered
> using it in the trans and diff but will now consider doing so if it
> prevents
> breakdowns

Fred,
Actually, preventing breakdowns is how I first heard about Synth oils back in
the late 70s. I was off-road racing and just had a new engine built for my
single seat buggy. The engine builder (who was also a mech. engr.) told me to
use only synthetic oil (pre Mobil-1, I think). He said the film strength was
so great on synthetics that if I punched a hole in  my oil pan I could
probably go miles to the next pit with no oil pressure and not seize the
engine (no mean feat in the desert)...so I've used it ever since.

Re: Marc's comment on MTL - good stuff but for manual trans...my Jeep is an
auto so I used Mobil-1 ATF.

Craig Carter