Re: Synthetic oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:40:09 -0800
Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us wrote:

> Craig,
>
> With a testimonial like that, you should contact Mobil about doing a
> commercial endorsement!
>
> I've been running the synth in my '66 2000 without problems. Hadn't considered
> using it in the trans and diff but will now consider doing so if it prevents
> breakdowns.
>
> Thanks, Fred - So.SF

I would strongly recommend using Red Line MTL in your manual trans and Red Line
ShockProof in the diff. The added "slipperiness" of synthetic oils is a problem
with synthoils when use in a tranny. The synchros in a trans are like little
clutches, and the synthoils make them slip more which makes for slower, harder
shifts. MTL has a higher coefficient of friction and improves synchros
operation, while still offering the superior anti-wear and lubrication benefits
of a synthetic. I've only talked to one person in 15 years that did not like the
stuff. OTOH hundreds have been amazed at how good the stuff is. As with any
synthoil, I do not recommend breaking-in a fresh tranny with the MTL (or an
engine with synthetic motor oil). Use dynojuice for that, then switch to the
synthoil. The ShockProof is simply the most amazing high-load hypoid gear oil
I've ever seen. With the fluid drag of a 75W90 and the protection of a 300
weight oil, it is my first choice for any diff. For racing with an LSD you might
not want to use it as it has friction modifiers in it that make the clutches
slip a bit (same idea as the old GM LSD additive, less friction=smoother clutch
action) which is a good thing on the street but some racers may want the
clutches to lock up a bit faster and harder (others will like the smoother
lockup of an oil with friction modifiers). No I do not sell the stuff (anymore)
and yes I do use it even though it costs so damn much.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT