Re: tire question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tire question
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:32:46 -0700

I have run 195/60/14s on my 69 2000 for many years,
mounted on 17x7 wheels
however, to avoid tire rubbing in the rear fenders,
you may need to "slightly" flare the rear fenders,
or just flatten the inner lip inside the body wheel opening...
given the vast differences in roadster body assembly tolerances,
and rear spring sag,
all you can do is try the wheels and tires and see if they rub ?

Another thing to consider.....
running 195/60/14s on 14x7 front wheels...
depending on the wheel offset,
the tires may extend out past the body a little,
result is lots of gravel nicks in the quarter panel paint.

I've also run several years with 195/60/14 on 7" wide wheels on the rear
and 185/60/14 on 6" wide wheels on the front
and personally I like this combination for street driving.

Running auto-x with 205 or 225 front "sticky" race tires
tends to have the tires extend way outside the body work
resulting in road gravel being picked up by the sticky tires
and thrown into the cockpit with the driver !
Would strongly recommend wearing full face helmet
under these circumstances.........

At 01:57 PM 2/15/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I know that Calspeed recommends going up to 195/60 X
>14, but I would try a pair on the rear, at speed over
>bumps first if you can.  I found that my rear wells
>were off center (rear end or body, I,m not sure), and
>I got a rub on one side.  Attempted to move the body
>over with limited success (about 1/8 - 1/4", but it
>was not easy.  Wish I had used 185's, but it was too
>late.  Just my experience, YMMV,
>
>Mike Harper, 66, SC

John Atchison
Idaho Falls, Idaho