Re: Independent rear and rack and pinion

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Independent rear and rack and pinion
From: Thomas in Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:31:48 +0100
Uh well...

The steering rack must be behind the axle to be able to
have a chance to get correct steering geometry. You
need to change the wheel spindles over to the other side.
Quite a bit of work but anything is possible. I'm replacing
the complete front suspension including the x-member
in the frame. Custom made steering rack and a few U-joints
in the steering column is also required.

I tried with a multilink IRS in the rear but the frame was
using to much space to clear the links. If you increase the
rear track a little you can get away with it by using a rear
IRS from a 510 or similar. That should fit under the frame
with some work. I'm using a solid but stronger rear axle
with 4 bars and a watt linkage instead. Rear shocks will go
through the frame rails and trunk floor in an upright position.
This should give about 3.5 inches of suspension travel from
top to bottom.

Thomas