Getting the Monkey off my back (Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting the Monkey off my back (Long)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:43:45 -0800
Hello All,

Well, it has been almost two months since I have taken my 67 2000 off of the
road and boy do I miss him. I am now starting to understand why some people
have 4,5, or more years invested in their restorations. I am making good
progress, but my goal to have the car ready for Shasta 2002 will be
agressive to say the least. I REALLY miss having a roadster to drive. It's
like I am on a withdrawal. I don't know how you guys in the cold states can
go that long without a drive!

With that in mind I have decided to purchase another car to be my roadster
driver while my 67 2000 is down. I thought long and hard about what kind I
wanted and I am sure that this will ruffle some feathers but hey- I will be
the one driving it.

I am restoring my 67 2000 with a performance/racing slant. Comp suspension,
B-Cam, Limited Slip, the whole nine yards. Anyone who drives a competition
prepared car will tell you that while it is great in the turns and for
immediate acceleration, it sucks as a straight-road driver. Also, when my 67
2000 is finished I will not be driving it nearly as much. Sue me, but after
spending the kind of money I will spend restoring this car, it will only see
limited use.

For that reason I am purchasing a 64 1500. Yes, not a lot of power. Yes, a
non-synchro first gear. But after the 67 2000, the three seaters have always
been my favorite. The retro dash and the side trim going up to the
headlamps. Even the funky trunk handle looks cool to me. Plus I am more
interested in a sporty touring car than a racer. When my 67 2000 gets done I
will have my racer. This car will be my driver.

Several of you know this car. It is currently owned by Leigh Brooks. Believe
me, Leigh made sure that I would give this car a good home and take care of
it. I promised him that I would and I will. So I have joined Sid Raper's
"What have I done?" club and added another car to the stable. I am sure the
car and I will become good friends soon.

See you at Solvang! (I will be bringing the 1500)

Andrew Murphy
1967 2000 Solex SRL311-00489
1964 1500 4-SPL310-01587 (Soon)