Re: Manifold Studs

To: "Charles Hubbard" <cehubbard@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Manifold Studs
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:24:40 -0600
>Has anyone ever replaced the intake and manifold bolts and studs with
>hardened allen head bolts. I'm wondering if this would be worth a try.

I like the way they were set up on the stock L-motors I've seen through
the year. All of them have had studs in the end holes and the middle one.
This allows you to place the gasket, hang the exhaust manifold and then
install the intake manifold. Using bolts in the four top holes that hold
only the intake allows you to change only the intake manifold pretty
easily. I intend to use this feature(?) to let me do back to back dyno
runs on an L-18, first with SUs and then with a pair of 40 DCOE Webers.

Thinking about it even though I've not seen studs in the lower holes,
with the thick washers that simply clamp the bottom edges of both
manifolds, but go through neither, I'd think they could be used there,
too. The idea would seem to be save as much wear on the threads as
possible while not impeding installation too much.

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
ronnie_day@acd.org
The ACL Group