Re: Roadster EFI

To: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>,
Subject: Re: Roadster EFI
From: Michael Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:01:10 -0800
Phil and list,

I have seen several installations using the SDS, and the Wolf EMS systems.
They are not all on Roadsters , but older Datsuns that came with SU, or other
carbs.

Items needed to perform this installation can very in cost depending on what
you want it to look like and how it will perform.

First the stand alone system be it SDS, Wolf EMS , Haltec, or what ever you
choose
there are several other systems on the market. Most of the stand alone systems
come
out of Australia they are way ahead of us on this type technology. Prices
range on these
systems depending on what you brand and what bells and whistles you choose.

Second the fuel management system TWM. Wolf EMS and several others produce
throttle bodies with injector bosses already on them. These bolt straight up
to the
Solex style manifolds. You will need the following items to complete this part

of the installation. Fuel rails, high pressure fuel pump, pressure regulator,
injectors,
linkage, air cleaner assembly. TWM also makes a bolt on throttle body that
fits on
the SU bolt pattern with injector bosses on it. The performance of the SU
system
is limited like the standard SU's.

Third is the ignition items to be installed . Crank trigger magnets at the
damper and
pick up bracket and installation. The U20's have the bolt holes available
where the
alternator is mounted making this step easier.You will also have to weld an O2
sensor onto the exhaust header  for the computer. Then you have to decide if
you are going
to use a distributor to run the power to the plugs. . The other choice is
using a coil for every
plug. This is direct fire and works extremely well, but there is the added
expense of the coil
packs.

This isn't an easy installation for that regular do it your selfer, but can be
done with help from
a fabricator. There are many other factors I haven't addressed here, but each
installation
will very.

I have looked extensively into this type set up and will do one this year on
one off the Z's.
I was going to do it on the Roadster , but with the price of U20 parts
skyrocketing I plan
on putting a newer engine into it. Possibly the VVT head SR will be available
by then by
the importers.

I have seen these set ups at work and they are truly awesome !! The
performance gains
and the drive ability improvements are fantastic.

I saw the post by Rob on the sell of his set up and he lost money on that
deal. He is
going Mod racing like Don Miller is and there are few rules to hold him back.

Well enough with this from me !

Enjoy the ride,
Mike
2 69' 2000's