RE: part #'s and 13" wheels

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: part #'s and 13" wheels
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 20:45:34 -0800
Okay, Craig, tell them the whole story on the brakes. The outside of the
caliper bridge had been ground down so far that the bolt hole for the pad
retaining clip was gone! I had visions of Craig jumping on the brakes
sometime and the caliper bridge splitting down the middle. Not a pleasant
thought.

BTW, Craig didn't do this, it was a PPO, so don't think I'm dissing him.

I've also seen a roadster with 1" spacers on the front to mount 13" wheels,
but that sure isn't a recommended approach, either. It screws with the
suspension geometry (think about scrub radius) and puts a big load on the
wheel bearings. The front rotors on a roadster are quite large for a car
that size. They are 11.2" diameter. The Z rotors are only 10.7".

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA