Re: Got Torque- "I am my car's mechanic"

To: slick1@mohaveaz.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Got Torque- "I am my car's mechanic"
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:16:11 EST
In a message dated 2/2/01 3:24:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
slick1@mohaveaz.com writes:

> Laurie I am curious.  I assume that you are not a Male, and by the things
> you write I must also assume that you are the Number 1 Mechanic on your car,
> right?

 <G> Sumpthin' like that !  Definately not Male....  33 y/o 2 kids, 2 cats, 1
Ford Cortina-owning fiancee. 5'-7" 120# , red-head that grew up having grease
under her fingernails. Dad raced flat-track bikes (& motoX) and I was the
"pit-crew" by default. He was always tinkering w/ his Pontiacs out in the
garage, and I found taking apart caburetors much more interesting than
cleaning house w/ mom. Out of high-school I ended up in the auto parts &
service field, eventually having a part-time British restoration shop (the
partner I had went on to race Vintage MG's & Triumphs, last I heard he had
one of Bob Tullias' old cars). I've been up to my elbows in grease in just
about every sort of the typical British car you find here in the states. I
continued to work in parts until very recently (now I do accounting at a
hospital, but yearn to be back in the middle of car-things!).

I got my Datsun when I was 19, bringing it home on a trailer, and LOTS of
boxes. I didn't know much about them then, but I liked it because is was just
"different enough". ( The MGB had gotten old ...) I put it all together, and
helped w/ the paint prep. (gosh do I hate sanding!).  It was my daily driver
for years (short time in storage - blame my ex- the same guy who told me I
couldn;t work on a car because I "didn't have a penis" - whatta creep - glad
he's gone!)- and yup. I was the one doing all the work on it. That little car
& I have been through a lot together !

I admit that recently I haven't had my hands on cars as much as I like, but I
currently blame that on no garage (apartments suck).However, when the tax
refund gets here I get to get busy on it again...time to re-do the front end,
re-sleeve the calipers, dash-cap, bug Ron H. for that speedo angle drive
again....  Hey ! I think I need to go make a list now !

Laurie :-)
"I am my car's mechanic"   (every offense possible meant to Dr. Laura <G>)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311
Chandler, AZ