National Meet (Long)

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: National Meet (Long)
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:51:59 -0600
Calspeed mentioned the National ZCCA meet in Alburquerque in 1998.  I was
there, also, and I attended the next two in Tulsa and Las Vegas.  I enjoyed
all three meets, the organizers treated my Roadster with respect and
dignity, Z owners were fun to talk to, the off-site activities were well
organized and interesting (I loved the track time at Las Vegas Speedway) and
I felt that I was a part of a national Datsun Organization.  Because the
ZCCA is specifically for Z cars, our Roadsters (and other Datsuns) were not
the center of attention. There were a few "snobs".  It was hard for the Z
car people to be snobbish to me, because I have too much of a sense of humor
to take offense, but we have "snobs" even within our little group, as
evidenced by the 67.5 controversy we go through occasionally.  I may not
make the Canadian meet because of prior commitments, but I have already set
aside the time for the ZCCA National meet in San Antonio in 2002.  If you
really want a national event, try the ZCCA one.

Some of you mentioned past attempts to schedule a Roadster National.  TDROC
has had two of these, one in Colorado and one in Missouri.  For each tour we
scheduled over a week's worth of driving with overnight stops planned to let
Roadster Owners join and leave as their time permitted, and we had two or
three stops of more than one day for off-site (no driving) activities.  Very
few of you joined us.  We will have another National Tour of Colorado this
Summer.  How many of you will meet us there?  We already have the route and
stops planned.

By the way, the geographical center of the lower 48 states is in Kansas and
the mean population center of the lower 48 is in Missouri.  Kansas City,
Missouri is about the ideal place for a national meet because it is equally
as hard to get to from all four corners of the USA, both in distance
traveled and population centers.  And, guess what!  Topeka, Kansas is the
site of the SCCA National Runoffs every year. (a small distance from K.C.)
The distance to all three coasts (Texas has a coast, too) is from 1000 to
1700 miles.  That's two to four days travel in a Roadster, or one VERY long
day driving VERY fast.  If you want to treat everyone equally, schedule the
meet for Kansas City.

Leisure Suit Terry