1600 Weber's, Restortation & other stuff (sorta long)

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1600 Weber's, Restortation & other stuff (sorta long)
From: "J. Spears" <spearseng@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:33:45 -0800
I am in general a lurker on this list. I have a '69 1600 that I am very much
interested in the ability to put some Weber's on it.  However, I am purely a
driver, my mechanical ability sucks, therefore I very much depend upon the
opinions of others on this list on how to best improve my car's performance
(will the weber's really help?).  I would like to get the Weber's on ebay but
I do not want to start a bidding war. If anyone else on the list is after
them, please email me and lets talk about it.

Now for the restoration, I have a friend here in the Auburn WA area that does
excellent work on restoring old cars.  He recently finished (in the past year)
a '66 1600 for Doug Huttenstien (sp?) that is just beautiful to look at.
Doug, if you are on this list, it is the best looking roadster I have
personally seen. (I say that not having been to Shasta yet, some year I will
get there).  While Doug's car is restored to near original condition, I will
be restoring my car to my own personal flavor.  I like my cobra striping and
the white interior with blue carpets & paint, not many of these around :-).

Anyway I am about ready to have John do the same frame off restoration on my
'69 1600.  The question here is should I do the restoration body work first
and then the electrical/engine work or visa-versa?  There is not much engine
work left that needs to be done, however the electrical is another question
all together.

Also, I have heard that Auburn Nissan which is opening up a new showroom soon
has asked Doug to display his '66 1600 in their showroom for their grand
opening (that should give you some idea of how good Doug's car looks). Anyone
and everyone in the area should stop in a see Doug's car if & when this
happens.  I will be taking my wife there to let her see just what it is that I
want to do to mine. :-)  Somehow I have got to convince her that spending
8k-10k on restoring my car is worth it to me (shouldn't be too hard, once she
see Doug's car).

J. Frank Spears
'69 1600, SPL 311-26627
Auburn, WA