roadster weather (longish)

To: 9laser3@bright.net
Subject: roadster weather (longish)
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 05:08:49 -0000
Okay, Paul,

Last night, the "Ladybird" wouldn't start.  I tried and tried, played with
plugs, wiggled wires, and banged on the battery (which I ran down).
Finally, it dawned on me - the distributor cap!  Opened it up, and sure
enough, deposits all over the contacts.  So I cleaned them up, but no juice,
now, to start her.  Then a lovely old lady walked up, and said "Would a
jump-start help?"
"Thanks, that'd be lovely" I replied, and added "I've got leads"
She smiled, and gestured to the Volvo parked in front of me: "And I've got a
car!"
Moments later, I'm going again, and she's waving goodbye.

Anyhoo, I decided to take her for a run, to charge the battery back up.
Down the freeway (back into 3rd to blast past that idiot in the fast lane -
bet he's wondering why his Honda Civic couldn't keep up with a 30 yo car!)
and out to the north eastern edge of Melbourne - lots of nice twisty,
country road, only half an hour away from work, at that time of night.  Get
to Warrandyte (end of the burbs, there) and a black Porsche 911 latches onto
my tail.  Up into the hills, and a slow local turns off.  It's on!  Back
into 2nd - took the Porsche by surprise, but he's soon right up with me.
3rd, 4th, and the corners are marked "60kph".  Fine, I take them at 60 -
miles per hour!  Of course, the 911 is sticking like glue - it's like
there's a 2 carlength towrope between us.  Over a fast left hander with
crest, and the tail feels pretty light - I'm pushing it a little hard, I
think.  So just as I back off a bit, intending to let my black pursuer take
the lead, he turns off.  Not too far to the T intersection, now, anyway.
Right turn, through Kangaroo Ground (blink and you'll miss it) and onto some
nice fast sweepers - advisory signs say 80kph - Ladybird blitzes them in 4th
@ 4500rpm.  Catch a guy in a V8 ute, he pushes hard to lose me - no chance!
He's got cubic inches galore - I've got a little car with fine handling and
hardly any weight.  Finally, I pull over, and turn back home.  Grinning all
the way.  Boy 37 mph seems slow after that!

Cheers all,

Steve - Datsun man(iac)
(SR311-01113: the Ladybird)

It's Springtime in Melbourne - 70 degreesF, and heading for 80+ in two days!