Re: Z20 motors

To: "Thomas the Swede" <csp311@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Z20 motors
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:49:22 -0600
>FJ20, a short stroke 2 liter engine with bore and stroke that's
>close to the U20 but equipped with a 16 valve head. Was used
>in many saloon and single seater racing cars in the 1980's. Strong
>as a brick s**t toilet. The connecting rods in this engine is
>known as the "King-Kong" rods among Nissan engine builders.
>Not available in US market Nissan cars.
>FJ20DE 145 hp/DIN and with turbocharging a lot more.

Only problem with this motor for us here in the US is that since it was
never installed in cars/trucks sold here, there are few if any parts
available through normal channels, AFAIK. I think even gasket sets have
to come from Japan. Bummer.

>SR20, the Primera GT, 200 SX, Sunny/Pulsar GTi and others...
>engine. Squarish bore and stroke engine with a 16 valve head.
>Still in production and used in saloon car racing across the world.
>Probably the best Nissan four with good tuning potential.
>SR20DE 150 hp/DIN

Although the SR20 has been sold here, they've all been in FWD cars and
there are major differences in FWD and RWD versions. The early Sentra
SE-R's came with this little jewel. I've been thinking about getting an
SE-R for a daily driver in the next few months. They're considered by
many as the spiritual successor to the 510.

>Long stroke fours usually have crankshaft vibrations over 5000 rpm
>that makes them unsuitable for sportscars, unless you get them
>balanced. The Z24 came in the pick-up's and was later replaced
>with the KA24 in the early 1990's. The KA24 in the 240 SX was
>replaced with the 16 valve KA24DE in the early 1990's.

Interestingly there have been more go fast bits here for the 12 valve.
However since the Japanese tuner JUN has set up an operation in SoCal I
understand that they are offering most stuff for the 16 valve. Remember
too, for the street that there really is no substitute for cubic inches
(okay, CC's in our context). Low end torque is generally more usable and
useful.

My current plans call for building an L-22 (starting with a Z-20) for the
'73 street car. However there is one respected shop building kits to
install the KA-24 and another building kits to drop in the VG-30 V-6.
Something to think about, but I'm not sure how far I really want to go to
that much trouble at this point. We really do want to get another 2000 as
soon as time and space allow. Too many projects, too little space, time
and money! <grin>

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)