pounds per horsepower

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: pounds per horsepower
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:15:30 -0600
At the SCCA impounds following my runs they let me weigh my roadster and it
weighed 2050 pounds.  Add my 250 and my roadster is at 2300 pounds.  I have
the 135 horsepower engine, which gives me just about 17 pounds per
horsepower.  A 150 horsepower Miata, at 2500 pounds, is also 17 pounds per
horsepower.  I think that 1 pound per horsepower also is one second, so if I
can run the ratio down to 12 pounds per horsepower I can beat Miatas by 5
seconds. I can:

a)  lose 80-100 pounds
b)  install a 200 HP engine
c)  lose 100-200 pounds from the Gray Ghost
d)  buy a 350 horse Camaro (3000 pounds, 9 pounds/HP) and put Fairlady
emblems on it.

My son Andy used to beat me regularly at autocrosses by 1/2 second until he
got married.  He gained a few pounds and now he doesn't beat me regularly
any more. I feed him every chance I get.

Leisure Suit Terry