Re[2]: Was test now back to rumble seat.

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>, ronday@home.com (Ronnie Day),
Subject: Re[2]: Was test now back to rumble seat.
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:42:16 -0700
Alex,

I just replied to Dan that I think it's a super idea.

As far as getting hit in the back, you take your chances just stepping out
the door in the morning. I see a lot of late model cars with rear seats
just inches away from the rear tailgate, and those passengers would be much
closer to a hit than in a rumble seat on a roadster. Take a look at the
cars on the road, and you'll see I'm right. Just inches! And what about
passengers on a motorcycle? Like I say, you take your chances in a lot of
places.

As for the rumble seat hinge slamming down the passenger, this can be taken
care of by a properly designed frame mechanism, welded to the roadster
frame. There's lots of those hinge-mounts in place on vans for the rear
bench seat. Cut away the sheet metal between the passenger area and the
trunk, and cut away the sheet metal floor of the trunk. Then dump the gas
tank, and get fuel cells and relocate them. Build a support frame and weld
it to the frame under the trunk. That ought to support the rumble seat just
fine.

Besides, with the tail-fins Dan is installing, the rumble seat will be many
feet away from the rear-most part of the car!

Fred - So.SF
BADROC