Re: checklist for starting rebuilt engine?

To: "Matt Peterson" <pete_303@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: checklist for starting rebuilt engine?
From: "Adam Fox" <foxy@pipeline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:59:03 +1000
Its not really feasable on the L series engines to prime them as you would
have to remove the oilpump to take the distributor/oilpump drive shaft out,
it will only come out the bottom, and you cant spin the oilpump with this
shaft in place. If everything was liberaly coated in oil on reassembly, and
you filled your oil pump with oil before you bolted it up, you should be
fine, make sure you fill your oil filter with oil before you screw that on,
then with the plugs out spin it over for a good while, 30sec or so in
bursts. Then when you start it keep a good eye on the oil light, if it
doesnt come up to pressure within 5 seconds or so switch off and repeat
above procedure.  Your main concern will be the cam towers, if these heat up
due to lack of lube they will expand and temporarily seize. So go nuts with
the oil up there before you start. Good luck.

Adam