Re: valve spring compressor

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve spring compressor
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:40:55 -0500
Hoon,

Usually for the OHV (OverHead Valve) engines like the R engine,
there is only one style of a valve spring compressor. It is  a large
"C" style.   While I love good quality tools like Snap On, for some
thing like a Valve Spring Compressor, it is more of a matter of
finding one!

I have one in the garage, but heck if I remember what brand it is.
Largest Auto Parts store with any selection of tools like that around
Austin is a PepBoys. I was hunting for a set of "oil galley brushes"
for a rebuild, and happened to notice a valve spring compressor.

On other things like a "Flex hone"  - I like the Dingle Berry type,
yes that is really what they are called... looks like a bunch of balls
at the end of a wire. Thankfully I spotted a Snap On truck at a
garage and bought the Flex Hone from him (couldn't find any in
any shops.).

I've probably had the valve spring compressor for over 25 years,
so it does pay to buy a good one and take care of it!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX