Re[2]: Tranny Update & Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Ben Zech" <motormite@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Tranny Update & Questions
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:53:12 -0700
Hi Ben,

Here are the steps taken on my '66 for a 2L/5spd transplant:

1) For low-windshield non-67.5 car - cut out tunnel brace so 5-spd will
clear the tunnel opening.

2) For non-67.5 car - cut shifter hole for different position of 5-spd
shifter. The 67.5 already is cut for both trannys. You'll need to change
your shifter plate on top of the hole. I took the cut-out metal piece and
re-installed it turned 180 degrees to fill the old 4-spd opening.

3) The trans mount plate should be lowered to use only the lower bolt holes
on the frame. Cut off the half of the mount plate that sticks out below the
frame. You may have to re-drill the mount holes on the top of the mount
plate if the tranny doesn't match up. Something like 1/2 inch off.

4) Dolly out the floorpan for the 5-spd speedo cable mount. I also used the
90-degree mount from the 4-spd.

5) The 5-spd uses a different driveshaft arrangement.

For an engine transplant:

6) For low-windshield non-67.5 car - dolly out a larger space on the inner
fenderwell for the 2L air filter housing.

7) I re-wrapped the wiring harness because of different positions of a few
wires.

8) Swapped the anemic exhaust pipes.

Have fun!
Fred "katman"