Re: white smoke

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>, <hoon@pixar.com>
Subject: Re: white smoke
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:50:36 -0500
Hoon-
I agree with Dan, it sounds like a classic example of bad valve seals.  As
the engine warms, the seals swell, no longer allowing oil to run past into
the combustion chamber.  I'm not familiar with the 1600 head setup, but I
believe these can be changed easily without removing the head.
Nathan

> Hi Hoon,
> Several of us saw you drive away after the last BADROC cruise. To us
> the smoke looked bluish.  WHich means its oil.  I would guess that oil is
> dripping down into the cylinder through the valves when it sits for a
while.
> Daniel 69 2000
>
> > I have a '67 1600, and everytime I let it sit a little, and then start
it
> > lots of whitish, gray smoke billow out of my exhaust. I'm not sure if it
is
> > just the water condensation, but I doesn't smell clean. I'm not sure if
it
> > is oil or not. It only happens when I first start the car, but goes away
> > shortly after. Of course the longer it sits, the more smoke. How would I
> > fix this problem, or check to see if oil is leaking into the gas.
Thanks.