Re: Choke

To: "Rob Johnson" <datsun316@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Choke
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:25:55 -0700
> Is there any great fundamental problem with
> temporarily using the choke to lean out the mixture
> until I can get my carbs adjusted? The idle is a
> little low and I've found that by using the choke I
> can bring it back up to a managable idle and it seems
> to work better than using the throttle. Any comments
> welcome.
>
> Rob
> '69 2000

Hi Rob-

The chokes will richen the mixture, not lean it out. When
you pull the choke cable, it pulls the fuel nozzles down,
so that they ride lower (and richer) on the needle. As
Dave said, too much of this will foul your plugs.  If your
only problem is a too-low idle, *and* you don't have a Uni-
syn, then just turn each idle adjustment screw (on the top
side of each carb right next to the linkage) in 1/4 turn.
That will probably be too much, so you may need to turn
them out a smidge.

But my advice, as always, is get the tools and learn to
do it yourself - adjusting SUs is ridiculously simple once
you get the hang of things.  Check out:
http://home.istar.ca/~datsun/att06.htm (everything and then
some!)
http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/sutech.html (everything