69 2000 Needs Rescue (SRL311-10492)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 69 2000 Needs Rescue (SRL311-10492)
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:38:31 -0700
     I had one of those coincidence events Tuesday afternoon.  Went to the
health club, and a tired but not awful yellow 1600 with a blonde top was
pulling into the lot.  Asked the driver where he had been keeping it, and
he said it was a customer car, some young gal who just moved to PDX and
needed help keeping the car going.  I gave him my card and said to call me
so I could get her hooked up with NOWROC.  He went on to say that he was
looking for parts for her and came across a wrecked 2000 at Johns Import
Auto Wrecking.  Since I've been searching for a drivers side door for
months, I went to take a look.  The yard thinks it's worth about $2,500
(marked down from $3450 (gadzooks)), but they have no interest in parting
it out unfortuantely.  I told the guy he was probably dreaming, and he
admitted it's priced a tad on the high side.  Here is my amature profile:
     1969 Datsun 2000.  Sorrel blue (I think, this is the first one I've
seen in person), with black interior.  Paint, body, chrome, and exterior
emblems all excellent from the front of the car back to the middle of the
rear wheels.  From there to the back, it looks like either a truck ran up
his trunk, or he backed into something just barely above bumper height
doing about 50.  Interior vinyl in pretty good shape, dash is good, but
missing just a few pieces here and there.  Carpet is OK.  Has a roll bar,
and the top (a Robbins?) is in pretty good shape.  Has Enkei gold center
wheels with worn tires.  I couldn't crawl under to see much of the
suspension, but it has the stock sway bar.  The engine compartment was
dirty, with some rust on the master cylinder brackets and timing gear.  It
has SU's, which looked a little dirty, stock exhaust (no header), and the
original clutch fan.  Looked like everything was there, but needs to be
cleaned up.
     Recognizing I'm broke and don't have the restoration skills to do this
myself, I wanted the rest of you to know about it.  It could be a beautiful
car if repaired.  I love the color combination, and the entire undamaged
portion is in excellent condition.  No exterior body rust that I could see,
though I could see rust on the exterior side of the floorboards under the
front fenders.  Sounds like a perfect car for Mike Poorboy to get rolling
!!!  It essentially needs both rear quaterpanels, trunk lid, and all rear
lighting.  The rear bumper is still pretty straight, but everything above
it back to the cab rim is hammered.  The yard guy (Brian), said it had been
started about six months ago, but I question that.  The WA tags (278 BAY)
went through May of 98.  Johns Import Auto is at 4701 SE 24th, just South
of Holgate, in Portland.  Their number is 231-1601.  Let me know if you go
look at it and tell me what you think.  I'd love to go with somebody who
knows what to look for to see if I am on target with this one.  VERY
restorable in my opinion for someone who can do body work.