U20 bad -vs- U20 good

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 bad -vs- U20 good
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 18:02:42 EDT
Hello,

I recently pulled off the head on my 67.5 Solex because the car was missing
terribly when I was at Thunderhill Raceway earlier this month.  The car was
been getting progressively worse and repeated valve adjustments seemed to
prolong the inevitable.

Well, the next day the head came off and a worn out #1 Valve seat was
discovered.  Of course, I was not really surprised.  So the head went into a
machine shop and hardened seats were installed as well as another "B" cam as
my old one was showing wear too.  Springs.....etc and then installed. I also
replaced my Solex's with the freshly rebuilt set of the 67.5 Solex's with the
larger chokes.

Anyway, the car is up and running and I can honestly say that it has never
run so well.  It is absolutely wonderful.  I still am in shock from the power
of a fresh motor.  So... I guess I never really understood what a good
running Solex motor ran like.  I always thought that it was a lumpy,
unstreetable, uninspiring motor until 4500 rpm.  Boy was I wrong.  The power
still kicks in strong, (super strong) at 4100 rpm but underneath that range
the car is still excellant.

So life is wonderful again.  So wonderful that I took on an Acura Integra
yesterday and torn him apart.  I got it up to around 90 before I got off the
gas.  He really didn't have a chance.  I knew it and he didn't.  ;>)

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
http://members.aol.com/calspeed1/motorsports.html

Btw... those "other" Solex's are wonderful.  The car barks like a  big mad
dog.