registration problems.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: registration problems.
From: "ratdat" <ratdat@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:47:21 -0000
Hi everyone,
                   Reading all this stuff about vehicle registration woes,
there in the US is amazing. I can't believe the level of bureaucracy that
you guys have to go through just to drive your own car. Here in the UK if
you buy a car that has been ,say, sat in a field for 20 years and the seller
has no documents any more,or if it was there when he acquired the property
or such like,you just take it home and send off for a registration document.
....and then a couple of weeks later through your mailbox pops a document in
your name!!
It doesn't matter where the cars been for the last 20 years. I hope our
system doesn't progress to the level of yours there (though I'm sure it's
just a matter of time!) If they can't prove that the vehicle has been on a
public road at any time then you aren't liable for taxes, and they can't so
they don't. When you apply for the document if the DVLA(driver and vehicle
licensing authority) has not been contacted by the previously registered
keeper the a letter is automatically issued to the notifying them of your
application for the title...if they don't respond,(you only respond if you
are unaware of the application) it's yours.Our system seems pretty
antiquated compared to US systems but I'm thankful it is........

EDDIE (aka RATDAT)
Bournemouth England
1970 SRL311 (yet to be restored!)and other Datsuns...
ratdat@ukonline.co.uk