1600 valve adjustment

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1600 valve adjustment
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 00 14:38:32 CST
Hunter,

Thanks... that is part of it, so I'll do a few edits
on it.

For the 1600, the valve lash is 0.017" HOT;  0.021" COLD.
I recommend checking everything hot.

Anotehr trick is to think of the valves as being numbered
1 through 8.  When you notice one valve fully open (spring
comressed, rocker pressing down on it), make a mental note
of the valve.

Now take 9 and subtract the "fully open valve" number....
result is the valve to adjust.

So if the #2 rocker is fully open;  9-2 = 7, you are all set
to adjust valve #7.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

John,

On the 1600 all the gaps are the same, but not so on the 2000
as you have noticed.

On the 2000 when the cam lobe it pointing towards the sky is
when you should adjust that valve.

If you look at the intake manifold you can see which valves
are associated with the intake valves.

#1 valve is towards the front of the engine, #8 to the rear.

 >>From the front:

1E  1I  2I  2E  3E  3I  4I  4E

E=exhaust
I=intake

Usually I like to leave the car in fourth gear, with the handbrake
off. Then I "bump" the front bumper with my leg to push the car
back and forth while adjusting the valves. Easiest way to move
the car back and forth for me.

While there are "remote starter" devices, the starter is just
too hard to get to on a HOT engine. So I leave that tool in
my tool box.

Cheers,

Tom