Re: Leaky cover

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaky cover
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 00 11:15:48 CST
Phil,

Memory check for me... is this a stamped steel cover, or an aluminum
cast one?  Aluminum cast covers "should not spread oput when tightened".

There is a stamped steel cover from a BRITISH VEHICLE that almost fits,
but not too well. Too wide? Ahem.

Other thing to look at is the top of the cylinder head? Is it warped?
If there is a bow in it, it will be that much harder to seal.

Other trick: On a cork gasket, they shrink with age. Soak it in a pan
of water overnight (put something on the gasket to keep in under water).
Take out, wipe off, then install. The heat of the engine will dry out the
gasket, but it will remain the correct shape.

You should NOT overtighten the top two bolts, as it is easy to crack the
aluminum valve cover.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX