Leaky cover

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaky cover
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:43:15 -0600
Ok all you smart Datsun Roadster folks and folkets.  I am just about had it
with my leaky valve cover on my 1600.  I have to use 2 gaskets so the
rockers don't hit the cover.  I have used enough silicone on this thing to
own stock in Dow Corning.  Has anyone come up with a good fix for this
problem?  I have even cut a 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum the shape of
the gasket and glued it to the cover - help a little but still leaks.  One
problem I see with the cover is it spreads at the base when the bolts are
tightened.  I thought about building a horse shoe shaped bracket to go over
the cover and down the sides to minimize the spread.  I could also build a
ring to go around the cover on the outside at the base.  I hate to see my
Mobil 1 oozing onto the floor.

Ideas?

Phil Hall
66 1600