RE: Suspension

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, haugchiro@moscow.com
Subject: RE: Suspension
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 00 10:50:10 CST
Bob,

There should not be any problem with washing out
the ball joints and tie rod ends with solvent. I would
blow them out with an air gun (remove the zerk fitting)
when done. Replace the rubber boots.

On the tie rod ends, I usually tell if they are worn
by having a friend move the steering back and forth
while everything is on the car. Once off the car, I
really can not tell unless it is really worn out!

On the ball joints, ditto. Once off the car they
seem to flop around and have a little play i
them... yet are fine on the car. Usually when I
hear a "clunk" of a certain pothole is when I can
tell something is wrong.

On the car, when someone is moving the steering
wheel and I see that "side to side" play, then I
know the ball joint is bad.

Sorry I am not more help on this, maybe someone
else can elighten us a little more.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX