Re: Miata vs. Datsun Roadster Vs. MGB et al (was Miata) ADD front

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata vs. Datsun Roadster Vs. MGB et al (was Miata) ADD front
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:14:22 -0600
I haven't read all of my "Digest" so I don't know if anyone has topped the
52 in August  but I am 52 in May.  If I qualify as the elder statesman it
should qualify me for a free beer at any event I attend.

As an  asside from the age thing.  Non of us drives a Roadster because it
is necessarily better than a Miata.  I drive mine because it is fairly
rare, easy to work on (read as BASIC), I have a history with one ( I went
on my honeymoon in my first one), but probably most importantly what keeps
me interested in it is this group.  Every day, I read the Digest with
interest and enjoyment.  It is like getting part of a magizine about my car
everyday.  Its not as huge as, say, the MG group and not as self important
as the Porche and BMW group.  It's just a good part of a great hobby.

NOW FOR A QUESTION.   I am redoing all of my steering and suspension.  I am
trying to determine if I need to replace the ball joints.  The test I have
used isto put a 2X4 on edge under my rotor, angled out at a 45 deg angle
from under the car and push up with my shoulder.  I see no movement in the
ball joints.  I do see some in area of the bushings of my A-arm but that is
easily understood and fixed.  Is my test sufficient?  Some say just replace
the balljoints, period.  That may be prudent but expensive.   Any ideas ??

John  Schmitt    Telecommuter Office # - 847-458-7829
   Internal phonemail only  -  847-240-4725      pager pin#  800-759-8888
pin 8710561