Phase 1 complete!

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.com'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.com>
Subject: Phase 1 complete!
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 07:59:03 -0800
Hello List,

Tomorrow marks the end of phase 1 of the "return of SRL311-00489". After two
months and considerable investment, my car returns to the road full time.
Just so we can inform people about restoration vs. a Miata, I thought I
would add a little food for thought. Gordon was right. If you want a
roadster that has a lot of part availability, can be worked on at any Mazda
dealer, and will not cost an arm and a leg, go for the Miata.

However, if you fall in love with a vintage Datsun Roadster, are prepared to
go through your life savings, and are willing to deal with a thousand
idiosyncrasies then go that route. I chose the latter. Hmmmmmm......

Anyhow, she's mine tomorrow. My girlfriend is driving me down in the morning
to pick it up and I have already told her "Don't wait up". This car and I
are going to get acquainted. I plan a drive up the coast and Santiago Canyon
awaits. Maybe Malibu canyon too. It's drive time! Here is a list of what
went into this car. Keep in mind I have done no cosmetic work at all.

Brake Master Cylinder
Brake Caliper Piston Packs (4)
Brake Hoses (3)
Rear Wheel Cylinder (2)
Rear Brake Shoes
Front Brake Pads
Turn Rotors and Drums
Powder Coated rims and new tires (4)
Rotors (4)
Drivers Side Glass
Early Style Ignition Switch
Original Solex Air Cleaner Assembly
KYB GR2 Shocks (rear)
Trunk Lock
Rear Axle Assembly with 3.7
Rear Springs
Torque Link
Correct 67.5 Horn Button
Correct 67.5 Top Latches
Metal Brake Line
67.5 Chrome Door Mirror (Okay, I got ONE cosmetic part)
Starter
Re-worked exhaust system with Flex Flange connection
Rebuilt 5 speed Transmission
Motor Mounts (2)

The other thing not listed here is the outstanding work and advice I have
received from Classic Datsun Motorsports. I want to publicly thank Les and
Dennis for all of their work and advice. When this car came into their shop
two months ago, it was a basket case, and now she will be on the road. They
have always been responsive and have answered all of my questions and
deliver what they say they will do on time and within my budget. Their
prices are fair and the service is excellent. I think the phrase "customer
for life" applies.

So the next phase will encompass purchasing all of the parts needed for the
restoration. After I get all of the parts together, SRL311-00489 will go in
to get redone and when she emerges, she will be a 531 Beige Gray Metallic
work of art!

Regards,

Andrew Murphy
SRL311-00489 Solex