Clutch woes.....

Subject: Clutch woes.....
From: Arthur Rockwell <ARTHUR@vistamediagroup.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:57:34 -0800

I have been anxiously awaiting the inaugural SoCalROC meet this Sunday for
some time; even polished my fire engine red '66 for the 1st time last week.
But, alas, the automotive gremlins have foiled my plans!

With the beautiful weather we've been having (SoCal), I decided to drive my
Roadster to work today: 32 miles one-way from Toluca Lake to La Mirada.  I
was east-bound on the 134 when I experienced some sputtering.  It has
happened before due to debris in the fuel filter.  I decided to get off at
Forest Lawn to check it out and clean the filter.  I pulled over, didn't
notice much gunk so decided to continue in hopes the problem would resolve
itself.

I cruised through Griffith Park, trying to get on the southbound 5.  I was
in front of the Gene Autry Museum when I felt the car shuddering and the
clutch seemed to be slipping.  I could not shift and finally yanked the
stick shift into neutral.  The clutch had no resistance at all, and I was
hoping that maybe all I needed was more brake fluid and a bleeding.  I
pushed the car into the Autry parking lot to check it out.  I finally
resigned myself to the fact that I had a much BIGGER problem than could be
solved with a pair of vice grips and a screwdriver.  Triple-A came and towed
me back home.

I'm still going on Sunday, sans the Roadster (sigh!).  Since it look like
I'm facing a full clutch job, does anyone have any suggestions?  A stock
clutch or aftermarket (if there are any!)?  Heavy duty pressure plate?
Where would I get the parts?  Any repair shops in the San Fernando Valley
anyone can recommend?

Arthur R. Rockwell
VP/Sales & Marketing
VISTA MEDIA