Re: Miata

To: Datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 22:03:32 -0800
Would you say the same thing about a Lotus Elan? I wouldn't.

If by "chick car" you mean a reliable, comfortable, open car that is
light-steering and easy to drive even if it doesn't have an
overabundance of power, then sure, it's a chick car.

I think I love roadsters as much as anyone on this list (or off it, for
that matter), but when people tell me "Gee, I really like your roadster,
and I've been thinking about getting a sports car. Should I buy one of
those?" I tell them "If you want a car that you will really have to be
involved with and get to know the parts vendors and spend time
maintaining, buy a roadster. If you want a sports car that you can just
get in and turn the key and drive it, and it will always start, be
reliable and get good mileage, buy a Miata."

Most people now have no idea what "maintaining a car" means beyond
putting in gas and maybe kicking the tires once or twice a year. Spark
plug changes? Let's see, those platinum plugs last 100K don't they?
Points and timing? The computer takes care of that. Valve adjustment?
With hydraulic cam followers, what's to adjust?

The roadster is a 60's car. You can't treat it like a 90's car.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org