Re: rubbed the wrong way?

To: noji@snowman.med.umn.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rubbed the wrong way?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 03:00:34 EST
<< After having a new set of tires, 195/70/14, put on to replace the very old
 set of tires that were on the car, there seems to be rubbing on the left
 rear when going around right hand turns at some speed.  The old set of
 tires did not come in contact with the body.  With all the talk of taking
 off car bodies, is there some way to reposition the rear wheels in
 relationship to the body?  My guess is there is more room on the right hand
 side of the car compared to the left.  >>

Hello,

If I remember correctly, you were running with a set of non-factory wheels.
They look as if they were aftermarket wheels and not old Z wheels.  In any
case I believe that the offset on the wheels are incorrect for the roadster.
This would be the reason that your wider tire rubs the opposite side fender
when driving spiritedly as you were last Sat on the BADROC Run.  And yes, the
run was a blast!

There is no way for you to just reposition the wheel so that the rubbing is
eliminated.  The best that you can do is to try and roll up the fender lip on
the inside on the rear fender.  This should give you just enough clearance
for the wider tires.  And the reason that you are rubbing on one side of the
car rather than the other is possibly due to you being more confident in
making right hand turns.  Of course, there is the possibility that your
shocks are worn out in the rear and changing them woud make an incredible
improvement.  And you should change all four.

I had the same problem several years ago with my 1600.  I too had aftermarket
wheels with the incorrect offset.  They would rub the same way yours do now.
I changed the wheels and that solved the problem.  Btw... they were 195/60's
too.

Take care,

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex