Re: double locking hood

To: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Subject: Re: double locking hood
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:52:58 -0800
It would  take a wind tunnel test (simulated or real) to confirm it, but I
would suspect
that the average pressure above the hood is significantly lower than below it.
Right at
the base of the windscreen you'll have higher pressure in the relatively calm
air pocket
that is formed there (that's why the vent air entrances are located in that
area), but
that area is body, not hood. The moving air over the hood is, I'll wager, at
lower
pressure than the relatively still air cell in the engine compartment, and will
cause the
hood to lift if unlatched. I (and, I suspect, many other Roadster owners) have
experienced
that float-y front -end feeling at high speed  (90 - 95 mph) - if  aero forces
generate
enough lift to make the steering feel light, don't you think that they would
lift the
hood?

Gary McCormick
SRL311-13291