How Heavy?

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: How Heavy?
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:28:19 -0600
Hey all-

After putting the new head gasket on the 2L and sealing it with Koppercoat,
thankfully the oil that was getting into the coolant has ceased!  I have
several hours on the rebuilt motor, most of which have been spent inside the
garage (sigh) instead of outside as there is no exhaust yet.  There have
been a few "fun runs" around the block but that generally draws unwanted
attention from a particular neighbor on the corner (you know the type <g>.)

Well, so far, I've changed the oil once, having started it out with 10W-30,
and switching to 5W-30 after the last oil/filter change.    What are the
rest of you running?  I'm not that up on oils, but with the limited use (I
run it every other weekend) and the colder weather of the mid-west winters,
I chose a lighter weight oil to get quicker oiling on start-up.  What
approaches have the rest of you taken?

I recently started running synthetic in my daily driver 94 MX-6 to quiet
down noisy the HVLA's and it's working OK, just kind of hard to swallow the
$4+ /quart.  Anyone running full or partial synthetic in their roadster?

I for sure don't want to start a Brand Name war!  We all know how far that
would get us!  Instead I just want to better determine the options for what
weights and blends are best suited for the rigors or the 1600 and 2000
engine.  Hopefully this is both interesting and enlightening. ;-)

Looking forward to your responses.
Nathan