Re: H20 block

To: MMJB28A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: H20 block
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 10:21:44 EDT
In a message dated 05/02/1999 7:40:20 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
MMJB28A@prodigy.com writes:

<< I once -foolishly- towed a 260Z 2+2 from Buffalo NY to Oneonta NY
 about 350 miles behind a '77 Datsun pickup and going around a
 downhill curve, the Z almost pushed the back end of the truck right
 off the road. not to be recommended- lesson learned. reminded myself
 how much fun by towing a '51 Caddy Fleetwood 60 Special 450 miles
 from Virginia to upstate NY behind my '89 Ford F250 pu this week on a
 U-Haul trailer....around 6500 lb behind the pu. the hills are no fun
 when you in essence more than double the weight your engine has to
 pull. at least this time I had a class 3 hitch instead of a towbar
 made out of 3 snowfence posts welded together and attached to the
 back of the truck with an old railroad spike dropped down thru the
 hole where the ball should have been on the hitch......sometimes I
 wonder how we survive our more youthful years. trading the Caddy for
 getting 2 roadsters and my brother's jeep painted.

 Craig Halsted
 upstate NY
 roadsters and other stuff...

I seem to recall a good rule of thumb is that the tow vehicle should weigh at
least one and a half times the towed one.  There are a lot of dynamics at
work here, not just if you have enough power to pull it.  The really scary
one is if you are towing a vehicle that weighs as much as the tow car, on a
rainy road, going downhill around a curve.  You may not have enough tire
adhesion to be able to stop or steer.  It's really better to come up with a
heavier vehicle, for safety.
I agree, I don't how we have survived some of the really dumb things we have
done (speaking for myself, anyway)

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque