Re: Un-cool vibrations

To: JeffnAly@aol.com
Subject: Re: Un-cool vibrations
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 10:15:38 EDT
In a message dated 05/02/1999 12:47:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
JeffnAly@aol.com writes:

<< Hi All,
 Well I need some input.  My car very insidiously and suddenly developed a
 very strong and strange vibration.  It's not like a wheel out of balance.
 And I don't think that my alignment is out.  When I get the vibration it
feel
 like it is coming through the motor or drive train the stick shifter
vibrates
 strongly.  The vibration comes on at about 30 to 35 MPH and is more notable
 when I let off the gas at that speed.  There is no change in the vibration
 when I depress the clutch and let the RPM fall off.  Also, it is not
isolated
 to any particular gear.  At higher speed the vibration is still very present
 but shallower and faster.  Is this a U-joint gone bad?

 Congratulations to Ron and Co.on thier car's great placing along side of
 international competition!

 Thanks,
 Jeff S  SRL486

Jeff,

Sounds like a bad u-joint or the driveshaft out of balance.  They have
weights welded onto them and it may have thrown one off.  Get under and shake
it (with the car on good jack stands of course) and if it wiggles at all, the
u-joint is bad.

Some other notes on vibrations: alignment being off won't cause vibration,
but if you have seriously worn front end parts (like tie rods) that can cause
shaking in the steering wheel. Out of balance wheels will cause steering
wheel shake (fronts) or shaking you can feel in the seat (rears).

If it is a ujoint , it's easy to pull the drive shaft and you can take it to
a machine shop where they can press a new one in.  I replaced mine about a
year ago and I think Igot them from Nissan, if not, there are aftermarket
equivalents you can get.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque