Roadster Ramblings

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roadster Ramblings
From: CarterCM@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:23:14 EST
Greetings,

All this recent talk of electrical problems got me thinking about a problem I
had with my Roadster back in the late 70's...

Every once in a while...the lights would dim or go out, or some other
electrical item would stop working, and under-dash wires would start getting
hot...then, it would stop just as suddenly. The problem seemed to effect
different areas of the car at different times!

I couldn't figure it out so I took the car to an auto electric shop that was
recommended to me. The shop was run by this nice but very old man. He tried,
and he traced, but alas, he could not fix the problem.

So on my fourth or fifth trip back to his shop with no success, he told me
that I may NEVER find the problem. He declared that my car had what he
described as a "flying short" and sometimes they were just flat impossible to
find! So, I was just going to have to live with it.

Needless to say, my friends and I all got a great laugh, and to this day, the
"flying short" jokes still fly around our house!

Now, maybe some of you electrical types may have heard of this term before but
I still have never met anyone who has ever heard of it.

(BTW, as I remember the problem was finally cured by cleaning most of the
electrical connectors.)

Cheers,

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA