Re: torque wrench question

To: Brian.Burkhalter@Eng.Sun.COM, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: torque wrench question
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 99 21:34:38 CST
Brian,

Two types of torque wrenches: "pull till click",
and the beam type.

The Beam type does NOT go out of calibration.
As long as proper care is taken, it will remain
calibrated.

The "pull till click" ones that you preset a reading,
then pull till you feel the click rely on spring
pressure. They should be always stored with no tension
on the spring, better ones - like "snap on" can be
calibrated. Usually it is recommended that they are
recalibrated every year.

I made up a 2' lever arm with a rope and bucket full
of metal in it. With 30# of metal, I would check for
60 ft-lbs of torque to lift the bucket off the garage
floor (arm is horizontal). At least I knew what I wa
measuring (60 ft-lbs is head bolt torque value, hence
why I wanted to check it).

Of my "beam type" torque wrench, I use if for engine
rebuilding (main bolts, rod bolts, head bolts), etc.
I take my time and like to pull the "pull" of the wrench.

My "pull till click" is great for lug nuts, or something
else that is a little faster and just needs to make sure
all four nuts are to the same value.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S. It has been a while... welcome back to the
list!