Re: numbers don't match

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: numbers don't match
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:26:43 +1000
Hi Matt, The R series engine was fitted to the following vehicles :-
Bluebird SSS  RL411
Nissan Silvia  CSP311
Datsun Homer truck  T641
Several models of Datsun Forklifts
The Silvia and Bluebird SSS engines are basically the same as the SP311.
The commercial version of the engines all have cast iron heads with
smaller intake and exhaust ports, lower compression (8.0:1), smaller valve
diameters and a different cam grind. They also have a pressed steel tappet
cover and timing chain case instead of cast alloy.
Roadster engines up to eng.#40000 have a cast alloy head, 3 bearing
crankshaft and a breather pipe decending from the top of the block at the
#4 cyl. end of the block. (this is obscured by the manifolds)   >From
#40001 onwards they have an alloy head, 5 bearing crank and no breather
pipe. Engines before #02312 have an oil filter with a replacable element,
after that they had a cartdidge oil filter.
To check out what engine goes in which car you can check out the
"Specifications" page on the Early Datsun homepage.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/specs.html

Alan Bent  -  Queensland , Australia
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1965 Silvia CSP311
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310
1964 Cedric Wagon WP31  -  1963 Bluebird P312