Re: v-8

To: toby@wolfenet.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: v-8
From: Sexmnypwr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:44:28 EST
  Yeah, 400ft/lbs is a little much...not to mention the new handling
problems...
But how about a 318lb, all aluminum V8 Buick 215?  I should be able to get
225+ HP and @ 225+ft/lbs torque and I can't wait to drive it!  There is
another on the list completing a 2.8L 60deg.Chevy V6 which will definitely be
fun to drive too!  Power to weight ratio is always the key regardless of what
car the mod is in.  Handling to me is more important which is why I went with
the 215.  Having never built a Buick mill before, it's fun finding out all the
new quirks.  After finding out more information though, I came upon the insane
231 Buick V6.  The turbo charged version as in Grand Nationals are only 365lbs
in weight and capable of...no kidding, 1400HP!  (Ken Duttweiler's 272ci EFI
twin turbo version). Even a mild build is easily capable of 4-500HP.   Not to
go "Tim Taylor" on everyone, but there is a point of excess...
  I've found no matter how much HP and torque you have... 1. you got to find a
way to get it to the ground, or it's useless...2. If it becomes dangerous for
you and others on the road with you, then it's careless...HP is worthless when
you're dead...
  I'm driving a 3.2L triple Mikuni etc.L28 pushing 230HP in a '73 240Z, it's a
blast to drive and the handling is awesome (with a few mods).  I found that
even with this motor combo, as HP/torque goes up, technical driving becomes
much trickier.  It's definitely taught me respect for machines (although after
learning the hard way).  One of these days, I'd love to go to a school and
really learn how to drive well...
  Anyways, sorry to rant on...

  Stan Wada